Tuesday, September 8, 2009

JIM ZESKE: MATERIALES NÓMADES


JIM ZESKE/ MATERIALES NÓMADES

Living in La Plata, with the people here, I am experiencing a real and vibrant culture, as very few tourists visit here. I find myself moving about and among the locals. I enjoy meeting and hanging out with the people from the area. I go for leisurely jogs around the town (a universal leisure activity). Through exploring the city, moving through urban space, I absorb the elements of the city: the architecture, the political and futbol related graffiti, the people, the music, the dancing, etc. This gives me an insight into life in La Plata.

My work reflects my interest in wandering and collecting found material. I take long walks that may seem routine, but always present new experiences – whether I walk in known or unknown places. I find and collect materials that I use in my work. This process of wandering and collecting, together with my experiences, informs my artistic practice and the objects I create. This is an important part of my practice – undertaking nomadic journeys that bring about found objects for collection. I am also interested in how objects are contained. Packaging becomes a protective home, or shell, while objects are in transit – a mobile home. Materials become nomadic, self-contained.

Through this process of wandering and collecting, I took these discarded, then found, materials to build and construct objects. I used building materials such as cardboard, Styrofoam, and wood to either construct objects – or to repair the readymade. This is a very natural process for me, as I have always been a collector of things that excite me, or for which I can find a use. After taking these materials back to the studio, I worked on a wide variety of projects, informed by my experiences and artistic practice. I used diverse media and process, including these found materials, yarn (crochet), video, electronics (circuit bent toys), and model making.

La Plata presents aspects of the city that interest me: old cars, stray dogs, and the cartoneros, who come into the city looking for materials. For me, the cartonero has become an important image and symbol. I define the cartoneros by three elements: transportation, labor, and the scavenging of material. These poor people come into town on their carritos and find material in the trash to either use for their home, repair their home, or sell. I feel that my artistic practice has an affinity with the cartoneros. I respect the hard work and tough life of the poor people of the city. I hope that my work reflects my experiences in La Plata the same way.

Viviendo en La Plata experimento una cultura verdadera y vibrante, diferente a la de un turista ocasional. Me encuentro a mí mismo moviéndome entre su gente. Me gusta salir y relacionarme. Voy a correr por la ciudad (una actividad de ocio universal). Explorándola, atravieso el espacio urbano mientras absorbo: la arquitectura, los graffitis de política y fútbol, la gente, la música, los bailes, etc. Esto me da una perspectiva más clara de la vida aquí.


Mi trabajo refleja el interés en deambular y recolectar materiales. Hago largas caminatas que pueden parecer rutinarias -por lugares conocidos o no- pero en las que siempre aparecen nuevas experiencias. De ellas provienen los materiales que utilizo en las obras. Este proceso nutre mi práctica artística, exploraciones nómades donde encuentro objetos para coleccionar. También me interesa de qué manera están contenidos. Así, el packaging se convierte en un hogar, una cáscara que protege a los objetos mientras viajan, hogar móvil. Los materiales se vuelven nómades, auto contenidos.

A través de este proceso de búsqueda, tomé materiales de desecho y los convertí en algo nuevo. Usé cartón, telgopor y madera para construir objetos o repararlos. Esto me resulta natural, ya que siempre recolecté cosas que me atraen o que encontré útiles. Llevé estos materiales al taller y elaboré varios proyectos relacionados con mi experiencia. Exploré diversas disciplinas y medios, entre ellos: tejido, video, electrónica (circuitos de viejos juguetes) y pequeñas construcciones a escala.

La Plata presenta aspectos de una ciudad que me interesa: autos viejos, perros de la calle o carros de cartoneros que transitan en busca de materiales. Para mí el cartonero se convirtió en una imagen importante, un símbolo. Lo defino con tres conceptos que tienen cierta relación con mi trabajo: transporte, trabajo y búsqueda. Gente de bajos recursos que viene a la ciudad a juntar desechos para venderlos o construir-reparar sus casas. Siento que mi práctica artística tiene afinidad con ellos. Respeto su vida dura y su trabajo. Espero que el mío refleje mi experiencia en La Plata de la misma forma.



No comments:

Post a Comment